sábado, 23 de noviembre de 2013

Flower Glossary: Protea

Design*Sponge

This week has been a celebration of flowers I previously disliked. First there were carnations (which I now love in all their neon purple glory) and today: Protea. Every now and then I would walk home past my corner store and catch a few of these poking out between bouquets of dyed carnations and sad-looking roses. They always felt like such thorny, woody aliens to me. I always appreciate flowers for their soft petal-y delicateness and here were these huge prehistoric things scratching outside of their plastic packaging. But when I started researching them more deeply and investigating different varieties, I was blown away by their history and how beautiful they can be. I mean look at these! And these! Stunning. I cant wait to find a way to work these into my floral rotation at home. xo, grace Additional Information about the Protea: Full Name: Protea Growing details: Proteas are flowering plants that need full sun and a dry climate, so they do best in areas like Southern California where the climate is conducive to their heat needs year-round. Varieties: There are several varieties of Protea, form the soft and delicate Blushing Bride Protea to the tough (and huge!) King Protea. You can see more varieties here. Size: Protea have large floral heads range from 3 to 12 inches in size. Cost: Price ranges depending on variety, but the most standard varieties are available from $3 to $8 per stem. Protea dry extremely well so you can easily extend their usage! Fun facts: 300 million-year-old fossils show that Protea are one of the oldest plants in the world! Photograph by Maxwell Tielman

 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada