miércoles, 20 de noviembre de 2013

In Brooklyn, A Nomad Puts Down Roots

Design*Sponge

For the past two and a half years, Farah Malik has lived in this apartment in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. Being that the United States is the eighth country she has lived in, Farah has accumulated quite an expansive and, as she says, sentimental collection of objects, representative of each phase of her life. After completing a gut renovation (the building had been abandoned and occupied by squatters for almost seven years), her home was transformed into a white-washed gallery-like space, perfect for showcasing her belongings. Farah describes her decorating style as Mediterranean, bric-a-brac and global gypsy. This translates to a web of inspiration for her beloved accessories line, A Peace Treaty. Farah is co-founder and CEO of this ethically-produced accessory design company. They work with artisans in regions of political and social strife, bringing them fair trade work and allowing them to make textiles and jewelry using centuries old skills that are often at risk of dying out. Thank you, Farah, and thanks to Max for the photographs! -Shannon Photographs by Maxwell Tielman Image above: The wood bench is stacked with a few handwoven cashmeres; handknit baby alpaca throws or hand block printed pieces from my A Peace Treaty line. I like to have scarves laid out so I can grab one and go. The prints are of Frederico Fellinis sketches I picked up when I lived in Rome. The postcards are from my time in Spain, I have yet to find frames for them. The pillows on the sofa are Central Asian handwoven pieces that range in origin from Turkey to Pakistan. Image above: The Viking stove is my hearth/fireplace focal point for the home. It is the only real splurge in this home. The brass hood is from eBay I decided I absolutely wanted a brass hood. I had bought a cheap Ikea hood that traveled first to California to be overlaid with brass, the craftsman apologetically quadrupled the quote hed originally given me and sent the hood back to me. I then had it trucked off to New Jersey, promised by a metalsmith that he could submerge it in gold color for me only to be told a few days later that the electrical parts could not be removed. Many weeks later I found a brass hood for 200 bucks on eBay, something I had been looking for for over a year! The baskets on the shelf are handmade by women in Pakistan or Burkina Faso. The brass kettle is Portuguese. I grew up in England, so the kettle is always on for tea. The pottery is from a time when I dabbled in ceramics and spent some months at a potters wheel. I cook a lot and so handmade utensils are the ultimate inspiration for making more beautiful things by hand. Theres also a Moroccan tea kettle handed down from an old friends grandmother in Marrakech. I have a real thing for heirlooms in fact my whole companys slow fashion made for longevity ethos promotes a pass down from generation-to-generation culture. The farm sink also entailed a wild goose chase, most are made oversize and finding a 24 one at the time proved quite difficult. Image above: The wooden spoons are all from travels: Thailand, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Tanzania, Mexico, Panama and Lebanon. A few of them I pinched from my moms kitchen, hoping to one day catch her cooking germs. My favorite are the ebony wood ones. The chopping board is from the Aeolian island of Salina in Sicily; the place where one of my favorite films Il Postino was filmed. The brass bottle stopper was hand-crafted by an artisan cooperative in Lebanon. The woven basket is woven from palm fronds handmade by South African women. The mortar and pestle is from a Bengali store on Brick Lane, London. Its probably hand-carved red oak. I always keep cloves handy, apparently they act as a natural insect repellant. The olive oil is from Portugal, I love old Portuguese packaging which I first discovered when I went to University in Montreal, a city thats filled with little mama papa Portuguese artisan food shops. This one was picked up in Lisbon. See more of this Brooklyn home after the jump (more)

 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada