lunes, 25 de noviembre de 2013

in the kitchen with: nicole hunn?s gluten-free sweet potato pie

Design*Sponge

Thanksgiving is synonymous with pie, to me.  I know a lot of people think of turkey, but I think of sweet potato pie.  Yes, I am in the sweet potato pie, not pumpkin pie, camp as that is what was always served in my family at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I try each Thanksgiving to feature a recipe that will work for different dietary needs.  This year, Nicole Hunn, the fantastic gluten-free baker and author who writes the Gluten-Free on a Shoestring blog, proposed a gluten-free sweet potato pie. I didn?t hesitate to say yes. I have a few confessions to make, which may help those of you who, like me,  may not be ace pie makers and who therefore are easily intimated at the idea of trying to achieve a flaky and perfect looking crust.  I made twice the crust recipe in order to make the pie you see in the picture (which was still warm!) because it allowed me to cut off the ragged edges cleanly and then crimp (it kind of uncrimped itself in the oven in a few places though).  I have enough dough left over for another pie, obviously, but I had much more room to work (and make mistakes!) with a double batch.  I also divided the process into two days.  I roasted the sweet potatoes and made the dough on one day, then made the filling, rolled out and blind baked, and finished baking on the second day.   Like Nicole?s gluten-free lemon cream éclairs we featured earlier this year, the recipe only looks long.  It is, however, incredibly simple, and it is one of the reasons I love Nicole?s recipes!  I hope you try it out, and Happy Thanksgiving a little bit early! -Kristina About Nicole: Nicole Hunn is the personality behind the gluten-free baking and recipe blog, Gluten-Free on a Shoestring, making gluten-free food enjoyable and affordable since 2009. She is the author of two cookbooks, Gluten-Free on a Shoestring and Gluten-Free on a Shoestring Quick Easy. In addition to her cookbooks and blog, Nicole has written about gluten-free eating for magazines such as Living Without, Gluten-Free Living and Easy Eats, and for the online magazine SheKnows.com. She has appeared on The Better Show, The Dr. Steve Show, The John Tesh Radio Show and ABC News. She has also been featured in the New York Times, the New York Daily News and Epicurious.com. Nicole?s next book, Gluten-Free on a Shoestring Bakes Bread, will be officially published on December 10, 2013. See how easy it is to make gluten-free pie crust after the jump! (more)

 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada